Essential Skills

Morley College offers a full range of Essential Skills courses across all levels.

Our Centres

We have centres in ChelseaNorth Kensington and Waterloo, as well as in Stockwell. Some courses also have the flexibility of studying online. You choose where and how you want to learn with us.

When do the courses start?

Most of our courses start in September, but we have some that start in January and April.

You can email us on to find out about the latest availability.

What subjects and Levels can I do?

We offer courses in ESOL (English for speakers of other languages), Maths, English and ICT. Our courses range from total beginners at the lower level up to GCSE.

Please note that not all centres offer all levels, but we will work to find the find course for you in a centre local to you. 

How do I enrol?

We now offer the chance to enrol through the summer via our new online assessment method. To enquire, you need to fill in our Essential Skills enquiry form

The form will ask you a few questions about yourself and allows us to start your registration process. This form is easy to complete on either a computer or smartphone. 

We will then send you an assessment to do at home, this will also work on your computer or smartphone. 

Please complete and submit your assessment, and a member of the teaching team will call you back and discuss your options.

We know everyone has different reasons for studying, and you will get a chance to discuss all of this with the tutor. At this point, you can choose at what time of day you want to study, subject to class availability.

In person advice and guidance sessions

We know not everyone wants to do forms online. If you would like to come into the centre to complete your enrolment we have a series of advice and guidance days scheduled.

To complete your enrolment on the day and to secure your place you must bring in the following evidence. We will not be able to enrol you without this.

  • Photo ID, for example passport, residency permit, visa, driving licence
  • Proof of address, for example utility bill, bank statement, NHS letter
  • Proof of any state benefit you are in receipt of, dated within the last 3 months
  • If you are in employment and earn less than £25,300.60 per year, you will need to provide your last 3 monthly payslips OR employment contract
  • If you have a visa to live and work in the UK, bring this with you, for example EU settled status or UK residency card


Maths: Tuesday 11am to 3pm in room CH303


Get advice and assessment from curriculum specialists in ESOL, EFL, GCSE English and Maths, Functional Skills English and Maths plus Digital Skills at the Waterloo Centre (also covers our Stockwell Centre).

Please email for more information and to book your appointment.

Next dates for English, ESOL, Maths and Digital Skills Advice and Guidance: TBA

How much will the courses cost?

Maths and English courses are free. ESOL and ICT are free if you earn less than the London Living Wage (£25,300.60 per year) or receive means-tested benefits. 

For those who earn above the London Living Wage, the courses are set at affordable rates.