Major construction works at Morley’s Chelsea Centre for Creative Industries are now complete after an intensive summer and early autumn of refurbishment work.
The £3m project has given the Centre a bold new look, with improvements across every floor.
Situated on Hortensia Road, SW10 – at the heart of Chelsea’s creative sector – the refurbished Centre offers a constellation of new and improved facilities, including
- “The Hub”, a brand new open plan events, exhibition and cafe space on the ground floor
- A relocated library and resources centre, taking full advantage of the Centre’s historic “Thinking is Living” vaulted room
- New and private areas for accessing Additional Learning Support and other student services
- Large new light-filled studios for Fashion, 3D Design and Creative Discovery (adding to those already in place for Fine Art and Art Foundation)
- Expanded intaglio and screen print facilities
- Reimagined classroom spaces for Essential Skills, IT, Media, Esports, and more
- Brand new Morley Radio Studios
The Chelsea Centre offers a wide range of qualifications for 16 to 18 year-olds, short courses and innovative adult education classes. These have been designed in partnership with local employers to support students keen to explore a future in – or linked to – the creative industries.
Matias Shortcook, Chelsea Centre Principal, said:
‘’I’m delighted that we’ve been able to reinvent our spaces here at Chelsea with minimal disruption to staff and students. Those spaces now meet the ambition we have here, which is to create a true hub of education in the creative industries.
“With a wide range of courses on offer, from 16 to 18 qualifications to specialist short courses to options in Higher Education too, we’re excited for the future. I am looking forward to continuing our work with students, staff and partners to create a centre of creative endeavour that is truly special.”
Morley College London’s Principal and CEO, Dr Andrew Gower, said:
“The completion of works at the Chelsea Centre for Creative Industries is an exciting moment. It renders in bricks and mortar what we have been developing over the past three years through our innovative creative curriculum: a genuinely inspiring place to be creative.
“As a college we encourage lifelong learning for all, and now in this renovated centre we can offer an exciting and expanding range of creative learning opportunities for every age and stage of learning.”
For further details, visit our Chelsea Centre page.
You can also visit for yourself at our upcoming Open Day, taking place on Saturday 9 December. Click here to sign up.