Opera at Morley
Morley Opera School
The Morley Opera School is a long-established part-time opera course running for three consecutive terms over one academic year. The Manager for Vocal Studies and Head of Opera Michalis Angelakis and Senior Vocal Coach Nicholas Bosworth run the opera school in a similar manner to a professional opera company with all students having the opportunity to take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to staged opera scenes.
The Morley Opera School is pleased to announce the offer of two trainee positions during the academic year 2018/19, financially supported by the Nicholas John Trust:
Assistant Repetiteur & Vocal Coach
These roles take the form of early career opportunities for people seeking to gain more experience in the field of operatic production and education by providing active support to members of staff and students in rehearsals and shows.
Each successful applicant will receive a stipend of £3000 for the duration of the role (September 2018-July 2019).
For the latest vacancies at Morley College London and to apply to any roles, visit the Jobs webpage: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/about/jobs
Why join us?
- Our students develop core skills essential to the operatic profession such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression.
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble.
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire.
- Learn how to follow a conductor and experience performing on stage.
- Receive career guidance.
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Below are some examples of this:
- Baritone Michael Bushnell Smith was offered a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Baritone Michael Bushnell Smith will be singing the leading role of Belcore in Guildford Opera’s L’Elisir d’Amore
- Soprano Kathryn Straw was offered a place at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Koukoullis was offered places at the Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Lawrence was offered places at the Royal Academy of Music in London and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Olivia Moss was offered a place at the Glyndebourne Academy this year.
- Mezzo-soprano Danielle Mahailet was offered a place at the Master's course at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama
What do we offer?
- Regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Language coaching in Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Masterclasses on interpretation, stagecraft and vocal technique
- Movement workshops
- One lunchtime recital per term
- Opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Recent Visiting Staff and Coaches
Stage director Elaine Kidd, current Head of the Jette Parker Young Artists' Programme at the Royal Opera House and former Head of Staff Directors at the Royal Opera House
- David Gowland (Artistic Director of the Young Artists' Programme, Royal Opera House)
- Steven Maughan (Senior Coach at Glyndebourne)
- Mary Hill (Glyndebourne, Virginia Opera, Northern Ireland Opera, WNO, Royal Swedish Opera, RAM, RCM)
- Mary King (Glyndebourne)
- Christopher Cowell (Stage Director 2018/19)
- Jack Furness (Stage Director 2018/19)
- Ashley Dean (Stage Director 2018/19)
- John Ramster (NOS, RAM)
- Simon Iorio (Glyndebourne, ROH, Hampstead Garden Opera)
- Aylin Bozok (Opera Holland Park, Grimeborn)
- Lucy Bradley (ROH, Glyndebourne)
- Isabella Radcliffe (ROH, Glyndebourne)
- Gerhard Gall (RCM)
- Marianne Vidal (RWCMD)
Victoria Newlyn (ROH, Guildhall)
Want to know more?
Would you like to come and observe some of the work we do at the Morley Opera School?
We would be happy to welcome you. For information regarding visiting Morley Opera, contact: Michalis.Angelakis@morleycollege.ac.uk or 020 7450 1838.