Opera at Morley
Morley Opera School
The Morley Opera School is a long-established part-time opera course running for three consecutive terms over one academic year. Reading View. The Manager for Vocal Studies and Head of Opera Michalis Angelakis and Senior Vocal Coach Nicholas Bosworth run the opera school in a similar manner to a professional opera company with all students having the opportunity to take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to staged opera scenes.
Morley Opera is pleased to announce the stage directors for their shows this academic year:
We will be also offering two evenings of masterclasses in November on interpretation/stagecraft by renowned stage director Elaine Kidd, current Head of the Jette Parker Young Artists' Programme at the Royal Opera House and former Head of Staff Directors at the Royal Opera House.
Why join us?
- Our students develop core skills essential to the operatic profession such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression.
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble.
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire.
- Learn how to follow a conductor and experience performing on stage.
- Receive career guidance.
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Read some of these case stories and testimonials:
- Soprano Olivia Moss was offered a place at the Glyndebourne Academy this year.
- Mezzo-soprano Danielle Mahailet was offered a place at the Master's course at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama
What do we offer?
- Regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Language coaching in Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Masterclasses on interpretation, stagecraft and vocal technique
- Movement workshops
- One lunchtime recital per term
- Opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Recent Visiting Staff and Coaches
Stage director Elaine Kidd, current Head of the Jette Parker Young Artists' Programme at the Royal Opera House and former Head of Staff Directors at the Royal Opera House
- David Gowland (Artistic Director of the Young Artists' Programme, Royal Opera House)
- Steven Maughan (Senior Coach at Glyndebourne)
- Mary Hill (Glyndebourne, Virginia Opera, Northern Ireland Opera, WNO, Royal Swedish Opera, RAM, RCM)
- Mary King (Glyndebourne)
- John Ramster (NOS, RAM)
- Jack Furness
- Simon Iorio (Glyndebourne, ROH, Hampstead Garden Opera)
- Ashley Dean
- Aylin Bozok (Opera Holland Park, Grimeborn)
- Lucy Bradley (ROH, Glyndebourne)
- Isabella Radcliffe (ROH, Glyndebourne)
- Gerhard Gall (RCM)
- Marianne Vidal (RWCMD)
Victoria Newlyn (ROH, Guildhall)
Want to know more?
Would you like to come and observe some of the work we do at the Morley Opera School?
We would be happy to welcome you. For information regarding visiting Morley Opera, contact: email@example.com or 020 7450 1838.
Auditions for entry in September will be held on 20,23 and 25 July 2018.
To apply please complete and return a Morley Opera School Audition Application Form form.