Opera at Morley
Morley Opera School
The Morley Opera School is a long-established part-time opera course running for three consecutive terms over one academic year. The Manager for Vocal Studies and Head of Opera Michalis Angelakis and Senior Vocal Coach Nicholas Bosworth run the opera school in a similar manner to a professional opera company with all students having the opportunity to take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to staged opera scenes.
Why join us?
- Develop core skills essential to the operatic profession such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression.
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire.
- Learn how to follow a conductor and gain experience performing on stage.
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble.
- Receive guidance on artistic development.
Morley Opera Alumni
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Below are some examples of this:
- Trainee Repetiteur Adam Turner was offered a place to study for a Master's course at the Royal Academy of Music and Drama for 2019/20
- Trainee Stage Director Annemiek van Elst was offered an assistant director position for upcoming productions at the Royal Opera House, where she was also a finalist at the 2018 auditions for entry to the prestigious Jette Parker Young Artists' Programme
- Mezzo-soprano Imogen Burgess was offered a place on the Master's course at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Baritone Michael Bushnell Smith was offered a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19. He will be singing the leading role of Belcore in Guildford Opera’s L’Elisir d’Amore.
- Soprano Kathryn Straw was offered a place at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Koukoullis was offered places at the Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Lawrence was offered places at the Royal Academy of Music in London and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Olivia Moss was offered a place at the Glyndebourne Academy this year.
- Mezzo-soprano Danielle Mahailet was offered a place at the Master's course at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama
The Morley Opera School also offers regular training opportunities to repetiteurs and stage directors seeking to gain more experience in the field of operatic production and education by providing active support to members of staff and students in rehearsals and shows.
For the latest vacancies at Morley College London, visit the Jobs webpage: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/about/jobs
What do we offer?
- Regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Language coaching in Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Masterclasses on interpretation, stagecraft and vocal technique
- Movement workshops
- One lunchtime recital per term
- Opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Morley also offers an Introduction to Opera Performance course which is spread over three consecutive terms and designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and operatic solo and ensemble singing skills.
There will be opportunities for public performances and chorus and small parts of the performances of the Morley Opera School.
Want to know more?
Would you like to come and observe some of the work we do at the Morley Opera School or the Introduction to Opera Performance course?
We would be happy to welcome you!
For information regarding visiting Morley Opera, contact:
Michalis.Angelakis@morleycollege.ac.uk or 020 7450 1875.
Auditions for entry in 2019/20:
Morley Opera School: 11 September 2019
Introduction to Opera Performance: 6 September 2019