20 Apr 2021 - 6 Jul 2021
We have adapted our Opera courses according to social distancing requirements to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.
This means that:
The Introduction to Opera Performance course will be delivered online, exploring acting and vocal technique through warm-ups and workshops specifically adapted for online delivery. The end-of-term performance will be online, either streaming live or using a pre-recorded performance.
The Morley Opera School will be mainly delivered at our Waterloo Centre, in large rooms with small numbers. Some sessions will be delivered online when necessary.
We will be offering our students opportunities for socially-distanced projects, such as performances (streamed or with live audience), and recordings of their work.
Our team this term includes:
- Stage Director John Ramster (Associate Head of Vocal Studies, Guildhall School of Music and Drama),
- Language Coach Matteo dalle Fratte
- Head of Opera, Michalis Angelakis
- Senior Vocal Coach. Nicholas Bosworth.
Morley Opera School
The Morley Opera School is a long-established and respected part-time opera course, which offers high quality vocal and performance training. The course runs for three consecutive terms over one academic year and provides the opportunity to experience how a professional opera company works.
If you are able to come to a face-to-face audition, please enquire by e-mail. You will need to prepare two arias of your own choice for your audition, and there will be a short interview afterwards.
Alternatively, you can submit a video recording of yourself performing two arias of your own choice with live or pre-recorded accompaniment. You do not need to hire or purchase recording equipment for this- your smartphone will do perfectly. Upon receipt of your video recording, we will contact you to arrange an interview in the form of a video call.
- Develop key professional skills such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire
- Learn how to follow a conductor and gain experience performing on stage
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble
- Receive guidance on artistic development
- Take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to fully staged opera scenes
- Guide you through regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Develop your pronunciation and understanding of Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Provide opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Support you when applying for postgraduate study at music colleges and conservatoires
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Morley Opera Alumni
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Below are some examples of this:
- Morley Opera School: Hitting the High Notes – news of our student’s latest success
- Trainee Repetiteur Adam Turner was offered a place to study for a Master’s course at the Royal Academy of Music and Drama for 2019/20
- Trainee Stage Director Annemiek van Elst was offered an assistant director position for upcoming productions at the Royal Opera House, where she was also a finalist at the 2018 auditions for entry to the prestigious Jette Parker Young Artists’ Programme
- Mezzo-soprano Imogen Burgess was offered a place on the Master’s course at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Baritone Michael Bushnell Smith was offered a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19. He will be singing the leading role of Belcore in Guildford Opera’s L’Elisir d’Amore.
- Soprano Kathryn Straw was offered a place at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Koukoullis was offered places at the Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Lawrence was offered places at the Royal Academy of Music in London and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama for 2018/19
The Morley Opera School also offers regular training opportunities to repetiteurs and stage directors seeking to gain more experience in the field of operatic production and education.
For the latest vacancies at Morley College London, visit the Jobs webpage: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/vacancy/
Introduction to Opera Performance
Morley also offers an Introduction to Opera Performance course which is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and operatic singing skills. There will be opportunities for public performances and supporting roles in Morley Opera School performances.
Follow Morley Opera on Social media: