We are now accepting applications for a place of study on one of our opera courses in the academic year 2023/24!
Auditions will take place on 30 June and 6 July, although we may hold more auditions in early September, subject to remaining places.
Please check the ‘How to apply’ section for more details.
We are also offering a stipend of £500 per term for the period September 2023-July 2024 for the following work experience roles:
- Assistant Repetiteur/ Conductor: an emerging repetiteur/conductor wishing to gain more experience in the context of opera productions in the educational sector. The successful applicant will be assisting the Head of Opera and Senior Vocal Coach in music, language and stage rehearsals, playing the piano and/or conducting, taking notes and supporting the development of the students.
- Assistant Stage Director & Stage Manager: this would be suitable for an emerging stage director or stage manager wishing to gain more experience in the context of opera productions in the educational sector. The successful applicant will be assisting the stage director in rehearsals and other relevant responsibilities, providing administrative assistance to the Head of Opera, and taking over the stage management of the Morley Opera School shows at the Bridewell Theatre in July.
This stipend is offered as a taxable allowance towards living and travelling costs, and you must have the right to work and live in the UK for the period of the engagement.
If you wish to be considered, please submit a CV and a cover letter stating why you think you are suitable for the role, and how it would be beneficial to your professional development. If your application is successful, we will get in touch to arrange an interview/audition. Deadline for expressions of interest is 26 June, although we may applications past this deadline.
Opera At Morley
Morley College has an established reputation as a provider of opera education.
We have two courses available:
The Introduction to Opera Performance course is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and vocal skills in solo and ensemble operatic repertoire. It is led by two tutors, a stage director and a vocal coach, and the students present a public performance at the end of each term.
The Morley Opera School is designed for more experienced singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to develop and combine stagecraft and performance with existing musical skills at a higher level, in order to develop their professional repertoire portfolio. It is led by the Head of Opera Michalis Angelakis and Senior Vocal Coach Nicholas Bosworth, and the staff includes a team of stage director, language coaches and movement coach each term. Many of our students are offered places for postgraduate degrees at major music colleges and conservatoires in the UK and abroad, or roles with professional and amateur opera companies.
Staff at the Morley Opera School in 2022 to 23 include:
- Stage Directors – William Kerley, Ashley Dean
- Language Coaches – Matteo dalle Fratte, Johanna Mayr and Darquise Bilodeau
- Head of Opera – Michalis Angelakis
- Senior Vocal Coach – Nicholas Bosworth
- Movement director – Carmine de Amicis
- Masterclasses by David Gowland and Elaine Kidd, Artistic Directors of the Jette Parker Young Artists’ Programme at the Royal Opera House, and tenor Nicky Spence
How to apply
To apply, please download and complete the Morley Opera Audition Application Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application procedure is the same for both courses, and you will be considered for both of them, but please tick your preference in the relevant box of the application form.
The deadline for submitting an application for the auditions in June/July is 26 June.
We may consider later applications subject to availability of audition slots. Please check by writing to email@example.com
- Develop key professional skills such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire
- Learn how to follow a conductor and gain experience performing on stage
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble
- Receive guidance on artistic development
- Take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to fully staged opera scenes
- Guide you through regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Develop your pronunciation and understanding of Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Provide opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Support you when applying for postgraduate study at music colleges and conservatoires
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Morley Opera Alumni
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing.
Coloratura soprano Rachel Duckett (2015/16 MOS alumnus) won the main prize of the prestigious Voice of Black Opera 2022 competition. Read more about Rachel’s success here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/dec/06/voice-of-black-opera-2022-review-rachel-duckett-worthy-winner-brings-drama-and-technique
Below are some more examples:
2022 to 2023:
- Baritone Joel Robson: Master of Music in Vocal Performance, Royal College of Music
- Soprano Julieta Kunik: Master of Music in Vocal Performance, Royal College of Music
- Soprano Hannah Andrusier: Master of Music in Vocal Performance (with scholarship), Royal Northern College of Music
2021 to 2022:
- Soprano Nikki Martin: MMus (Master of Music) in Opera, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Soprano Jodie Li-Smith: Master in Performance in Vocal and Opera, Royal Northern College of Music
- Baritone Leo Selleck: Graduate in Vocal Performance, Royal College of Music
- Soprano Roberta Philip: Extended Artist Masters in Vocal Studies, Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Mezzo-soprano Yixuan Qian: MMus in Opera, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
2020 to 2021:
- Baritone Owain Evans has been offered a place on the Masters in Performance at the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama from September 2021′. Read more about Owain’s success here
- Mezzo-soprano Eleanor Holmes: Graduate Diploma, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Morley Opera School: Hitting the High Notes – news of our student’s latest success
Listen to our latest podcast for Morley Radio, in which students perform arias by Mozart, accompanied by an instrumental ensemble of Morley College tutors and students:
Introduction to Opera Performance
Morley also offers an Introduction to Opera Performance course which is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and operatic singing skills. There will be opportunities for public performances and supporting roles in Morley Opera School performances.
Follow Morley Opera on social media: