We now welcome applications for a place of study on one of our opera courses in the spring and summer terms of the academic year 2022/23. Please check the ‘How to apply’ section for more details.
We are offering one bursary equivalent to the full fee of one term to a successful Morley Opera School candidate on low income and under the age of 30. To apply for the bursary, please email email@example.com to enquire after you are offered a place at the Morley Opera School.
Opera At Morley
Morley College has an established reputation as a provider of opera education.
We have two courses available:
The Introduction to Opera Performance course is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and vocal skills in solo and ensemble operatic repertoire. It is led by two tutors, a stage director and a vocal coach, and the students present a public performance at the end of each term.
The Morley Opera School is designed for more experienced singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to develop and combine stagecraft and performance with existing musical skills at a higher level, in order to develop their professional repertoire portfolio. It is led by the Head of Opera Michalis Angelakis and Senior Vocal Coach Nicholas Bosworth, and the staff includes a team of stage director, language coaches and movement coach each term. Many of our students are offered places for postgraduate degrees at major music colleges and conservatoires in the UK and abroad, or roles with professional and amateur opera companies.
Staff at the Morley Opera School in 2022 to 23 include:
- Stage Directors – William Kerley, Ashley Dean
- Language Coaches – Matteo dalle Fratte, Johanna Mayr and Darquise Bilodeau
- Head of Opera – Michalis Angelakis
- Senior Vocal Coach – Nicholas Bosworth
- Movement director – Carmine de Amicis
- Masterclasses by David Gowland and Elaine Kidd, Artistic Directors of the Jette Parker Young Artists’ Programme at the Royal Opera House, and tenor Nicky Spence
How to apply
Our next round of auditions will take place on 23 November 2022 for entry in the academic year 2022/23. Please send your application form by 20 November. We may accept late applications. Please check by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application procedure is the same for both courses, and you will be considered for both of them, but please tick your preference in the relevant box of the application form.
To apply, please download and complete the Morley Opera Audition Application Form and email it to email@example.com:
In case you are unable to make the audition dates, it is possible to submit a recent recording instead and have an online interview. Please enquire at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to audition via recording.
In case you are invited to an audition, you will be asked to prepare 2 arias of your own choice preferably in two different languages and from memory. There will be a piano accompanist in the audition.
- Develop key professional skills such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire
- Learn how to follow a conductor and gain experience performing on stage
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble
- Receive guidance on artistic development
- Take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to fully staged opera scenes
- Guide you through regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Develop your pronunciation and understanding of Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Provide opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Support you when applying for postgraduate study at music colleges and conservatoires
- Directed scenes performances; rehearsing with a director and conductor.
- Regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach.
Morley Opera Alumni
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Below are some examples of this:
- Soprano Nikki Martin: MMus (Master of Music) in Opera, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Soprano Jodie Li-Smith: Master in Performance in Vocal and Opera, Royal Northern College of Music
- Baritone Leo Selleck: Graduate in Vocal Performance, Royal College of Music
- Soprano Roberta Philip: Extended Artist Masters in Vocal Studies, Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Baritone Owain Evans has been offered a place on the Masters in Performance at the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama from September 2021′. Read more about Owain’s success here
- Mezzo-soprano Eleanor Holmes: Graduate Diploma, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Morley Opera School: Hitting the High Notes – news of our student’s latest success
Listen to our latest podcast for Morley Radio, in which students perform arias by Mozart, accompanied by an instrumental ensemble of Morley College tutors and students:
Introduction to Opera Performance
Morley also offers an Introduction to Opera Performance course which is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique wishing to gain stagecraft and operatic singing skills. There will be opportunities for public performances and supporting roles in Morley Opera School performances.
Follow Morley Opera on social media: