Access to HE Diploma: Business Studies
When and Where
- 9 Sep 2019 - 24 Jun 2020 (459 hours, 34 weeks)
- Days and times
- Monday 10:00 - 13:00
Tuesday 14:00 - 16:30
Tuesday 13:30 - 16:30
Tuesday 10:00 - 12:30
Wednesday 14:00 - 16:30
Wednesday 10:00 - 13:00
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- £3022 Student loan information
- Concession fee
- Concession Fee discount not applicable
- Senior fee
- Senior Fee discount not applicable
- Francis O'Toole, Alexandra Isevski, Oge Onwuachu, Thuraya El-Kozeh, Kris Knauer
- Course code
What you will learn
An Access to Business course at Morley College London will provide you with a strong academic foundation in business studies and can be your first step towards a university degree and your desired career.
Through lectures and group work, as well as written assignments and regular assessment, you will be able to master key business and management principles and gain practical skills valued by employers and higher education institutions alike, such as analytical approach, critical examination and evaluation, leadership and independent thinking.
You will also get plenty of opportunities to develop and practise your skills in time management, academic and business writing, and quantitative and qualitative analysis.
Former Access to HE: Business Studies student Ramatulai Djalo said: "The College gave us all the resources we need and the teachers were really helpful. You can grow as a person at Morley; they give you lots of opportunities to succeed."
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Understand the business environment, legal denominations of businesses and corporate social responsibility
- Set marketing objectives and carry out market research, portfolio analysis. Gain understanding of the key principles of promotion and advertising.
- Evaluate opportunity cost, supply and demand, market equilibrium
- Read and interpret statistical data
- Recognise organisation structures and the role of communication in business, leadership theories and management styles, staff motivation and retention.
- Undertake budget analysis and cash flow forecasting, read break even charts, and understand financial markets
- Master key study skills, including note taking, research, academic writing and examination planning.
Class format and activities
The programme consists of the following units:
- Economic Systems and Competitive Markets
- Organisational Structures and Legal Frameworks
- Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Internal and External Business Factors
- Business Communication
- The Human Resource Function
- Management and Leadership
- Decision Making Techniques in Business
- Finance and Modern Society
- Business Mathematics: Statistics and Probability
- Introduction to Marketing
- How to Apply a Marketing Strategy
- Event Management
- Finding and Reading Information
- Report Writing
- Essay Writing
- Speaking and Listening
- Examination Skills
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
- You must be aged 19 or above
- You should have GCSEs in English and maths (grades A to C) or equivalent qualifications. You will need these two qualifications in addition to the Access to HE Diploma to progress to most university courses.
For more information about entry requirements and the application process to our Access to Higher Education Diplomas, please visit the page in the top menu. You will also find information outlining different funding options for the course.
What you need to know before you enrol
Our experienced tutors will help make your Access to Business programme enjoyable. But it is also a challenging course that will require real dedication and commitment if you are going to succeed. The course requires systematic attendance for two and a half days a week. In addition, you will be expected to do regular independent reading and research, and submit written work. It is therefore essential that you think about how you are going to balance work, family and social life with your studies.
What you will need for your class
You will require a pen, paper and a scientific calcuator for your classes. You will also benefit from access to a laptop or tablet to make notes and undertake Internet research. Any other resources are provided.
What you can do next
Students from this programme have progressed to business degree courses, including Economics and Finance, Marketing, International Business, Business Management, Music Business and Events Management.