16-18 Bursary 

You may be eligible for financial support to help while studying.  This will depend on which course you study, how far away from your college centre you live and your household circumstances.  

The maximum award is £1200 per year.   

To receive this support you need to be classed as one or more of the following: 

  • In care  
  • A care leaver  
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself, or financially supporting yourself and someone who is dependent on you and living with you, such as a child or partner  
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in your own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in your own right

Discretionary Bursary  

There is also the discretionary bursary for help with travel and materials. This support is means-tested and you need to be a dependent of someone with low income or on benefits or financially supporting yourself.  

You will need to upload proof of household income or benefits with your application. The fund is not guaranteed and it will only be paid to those who meet the attendance criteria of 85% or above. 

If you are aged 19 or over you will only eligible to receive a discretionary bursary if you are continuing on a study program you began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuer’) or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

Free College Meals

You or your parent/carer need to be on certain benefits to receive free college meals. These include:

  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
  • Guaranteed element of Pension Credit 
  • Child Tax Credit (providing you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190) 
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit 
  • Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you receive) 

TfL Oyster Scheme 

If you are aged 16-17  you can get free and discounted travel on all transport services with a Zip Oyster photocard.  Please apply online.  

If you are aged 18 on 31 August, in full-time education and live in a London borough you can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard to get free travel on buses and trams. 

Care to Learn 

If you are aged 16-19 at the start of your course the Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs  while you study. 

To apply please complete the Application Form on the gov.uk website. 

For more information please read our Financial Assistance for Students Policy 2020-21. 

To apply for a Bursary please complete this application

Did you find this article helpful?