Morley Opera School
We have adapted our Opera courses according to social distancing requirements to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.
This means that:
The Introduction to Opera Performance course will be delivered online, exploring acting and vocal technique through warm-ups and workshops specifically adapted for online delivery. The end-of-term performance will be online, either streaming live or using a pre-recorded performance.
The Morley Opera School will be mainly delivered at our Waterloo Centre, in large rooms with small numbers. Some sessions will be delivered online when necessary.
In place of live performances, we’re offering students the opportunity to record their core solo repertoire of arias in our state of the art recording studio. Students will also get the opportunity to present a variety of ensemble opera scenes that will be publicly broadcast on Morley Radio.
To apply for either of our opera courses (Introduction to Opera Performance and Morley Opera School), please complete the Morley Opera Audition Application Form and email it to our Head of Opera, Michalis Angelakis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a recent video recording of two contrasting arias of your choice (with pre-recorded accompaniment). You do not need to hire or purchase recording equipment for this- your smartphone will do perfectly.
We will contact shortlisted candidates to arrange an interview in the form of a video call. The deadline for applications is early September.
The Morley Opera School is a long-established and respected part-time opera course offering high quality vocal and performance training. The course runs for three consecutive terms over one academic year and provides the opportunity for students to experience how a professional opera company works.
- Develop key professional skills such as stagecraft, movement, diction and vocal expression
- Experience the demands of preparing, rehearsing and performing a variety of repertoire
- Learn how to follow a conductor and gain experience performing on stage
- Learn how to work as part of an ensemble
- Receive guidance on artistic development
- Take part in public performances, from concerts and recitals to fully staged opera scenes
- Guide you through regular individual and group vocal coaching
- Develop your pronunciation and understanding of Italian, German, and French repertoire
- Provide opportunities to sing with an orchestra
- Support you when applying for postgraduate study at music colleges and conservatoires
- Present opportunities to rehearse with a director and conductor in directed scenes performances
- Supply regular monitoring, feedback and advice from the course leader and senior vocal coach
Morley Opera Alumni
Many of the Morley Opera alumni have successfully proceeded to post-graduate education at one of the UK’s prestigious music colleges, or been offered operatic roles in companies of professional standing. Below are some examples of this:
- Morley Opera School: Hitting the High Notes – news of our student’s latest success
- Trainee Repetiteur Adam Turner was offered a place to study for a Master’s course at the Royal Academy of Music and Drama for 2019/20
- Trainee Stage Director Annemiek van Elst was offered an assistant director position for upcoming productions at the Royal Opera House, where she was also a finalist at the 2018 auditions for entry to the prestigious Jette Parker Young Artists’ Programme
- Mezzo-soprano Imogen Burgess was offered a place on the Master’s course at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Baritone Michael Bushnell Smith was offered a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19. He will be singing the leading role of Belcore in Guildford Opera’s L’Elisir d’Amore.
- Soprano Kathryn Straw was offered a place at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Koukoullis was offered places at the Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama for 2018/19
- Soprano Anna Lawrence was offered places at the Royal Academy of Music in London and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama for 2018/19
The Morley Opera School also offers regular training opportunities to repetiteurs and stage directors seeking to gain more experience in the field of operatic production and education.
For the latest vacancies at Morley College London, visit the Jobs webpage: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/about/jobs
Morley also offers an Introduction to Opera Performance course which is designed for singers who possess a secure classical technique and wish to gain stagecraft and operatic singing skills. There will be opportunities for public performances and supporting roles in Morley Opera School performances.