BTEC HND PERFORMING ARTS (ACTING)
We welcome applications directly into year 2 of the HND from students who have successfully completed their Pearson HNC or HND year 1 at another institution. Evidence of achievement (in the form of a certificate) must be shown.
This two year course will be an exciting opportunity for you to explore, develop and test your creativity.
Our highly practical qualification is aimed at students who want to progress into a career in Performing Arts with a specialism of Acting.
During the course you will work on a series of projects, fine tuning your talents to rehearse and collaborate with others, performing a diverse range of work in front of live audiences.
Morley has a long history as a cultural player in the Performing Arts and has a team of experienced tutors who are professionals in their field and experienced in enabling you, as an adult learner, to develop your skills towards employability in this diverse and growing industry.
In Year One you will be introduced to the basic concepts and principles of:
• Performance through Acting
• Voice, Singing and Devising.
These skills are applied in a Devising Project in the third term under professional conditions in a live performance. This year develops risk taking, focus and exploration.
Year One Units:
• Acting for Camera
• Singing Voice and Speech for Actors
• Movement for Actors
• Devising Theatre and Performance
• Professional Development & The Performing Arts Industry
In Year Two you will work on a series of projects in professional conditions, creating an immersive performance in term one, working in the industry on placements in term two and working with a professional theatre director on a showcase production at Morley College in term three.
Year Two Units:
• Acting Performance Project
• Voice Skills for Actors
• Creative Research Project
• Immersive Theatre
• Physical Theatre
• Working in the Performing Arts Industry
Please note that units are subject to change.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• Work collaboratively and individually to develop your acting skills
• Apply movement skills as part of your acting craft
• Strengthen your singing and vocal techniques
• Create your own performance material
• Take part in productions in professional conditions
• Lead your own warm ups and workshops
• Understand how performance affects audiences
• Develop your critical vocabularies for reading, writing and analysing performance and texts
• Complete your own performance research project
• Develop your professional profile
We offer an innovative and creative drama program, which responds swiftly to the changing social distancing government guidelines. We anticipate that the Autumn term will run according to our 'Online Plus' model, which will mean that 20% of learning will take place in-centre with social distancing and 80% will be online and we hope to bring the remainder of the course into the building as soon as we can. Courses have continued to run successfully through lock down, as our experienced team of tutors and IT staff have worked together to enable students to continue their learning, developing skills and creating industry connections.
The aim of this programme is to help you develop the skills you need to specialise in your chosen performing arts career, through classroom teaching and practical work in specialist learning environments. Having completed the course you will have a nationally recognised Level 5 qualification and may be able to progress to the third year of an undergraduate degree programme, or find a job in the performing arts or cultural industries.