Millinery Masterclass Block-Making - London Hat Week 2020
Dates9 Oct-10 Oct 2020
Times9:30am - 4:30pm
Morley College London, 61 Westminster Bridge Road, SE1 7HT
Using a variety of foundation materials, you will explore the different methods whilst creating your own block strong enough to use multiple times.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
· Design and hand sculpt a buckram shape suitable for reinforcing
· Reinforce blocked and hand sculpted pieces with buckram
· Use water-based stiffener and millinery wire to reinforce blocked and hand sculpted shapes
· Produce a solid shape suitable for blocking on
This is a structured course with an emphasis on design, creativity and use of materials. No previous experience of millinery is necessary although hand sewing skills are essential.
What you will need for your class:
- a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, tape measure, pins
- hand sewing needles, a variety of sewing threads, a thimble
- paper cutting scissors
- Wire cutters or pliers
- note pad and pencil
- an apron to protect your clothes
All foundation materials and wire will be available to buy from the college on the day.
A ready blocked hat made from straw, sinamay or felt, such as a charity shop find, will also be suitable for reinforcing and to use for your project.
For more information, please do get in contact with: Sarah.Lomax@morleycollege.ac.uk