Starts: 7 Sep 2022
UAL L4 Foundation Diploma in Design (Graphics, Illustration & Games Arts)
When & Where
- 7 September 2022 - 30 June 2023 ( 540 hours, 35 weeks )
- Chelsea Centre
- All age groups are permitted on this course
- Availability Yes (course free to 16-18 year olds)
- Course Code C22DSNE03A
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of the different perspectives, approaches and ethics within diverse creative practice.
- Research, analyse and evaluate relevant information as part of their creative practice.
- Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate practical methods and skills for creative practice and production.
- Explore solutions to complex problems through the application of practical, theoretical and technical understanding.
- Take responsibility for research, planning and time management to access and action progression opportunities.
- Use critically evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for own learning, development and decision-making.
- Effectively communicate and present ideas and creative practice to appropriate audiences.
Class format and activities
Set projects, in conjunction with workshops, group work, individual tutorials will develop your skills and independent thinking. You will be supported with one to one tutorials with your lecturers. You will have access to 24 -7 learning with a blend of in college practical activities and workshops supported by dynamic online resources via Google Classroom and Microsoft Teams. Your learning is further enriched with a range of study visits to museums and galleries. Assessment Methods: There will be stage assessments at the end of parts 1, 2 and 3. These will be completed through individual tutorials and written assessments that provide an opportunity for staff and students to discuss the work and its progress. Regular feedback and personalised target setting are used to guide the students to make the necessary improvements to their work. The first and second stages are recorded as a Pass (assessment criteria is provided by UAL and is presented with each project brief). The final stage (Unit 3) is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction.
A L3 Qualification and English or Maths at GCSE English Language Requirements for overseas students: IELTS level 5.0 or above, with at least 4.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking Other relevant and equivalent qualifications are considered on an individual basis. If you are under 19 and are yet to achieve your GCSE English or maths at grade 4 you will be provided with the opportunity to study these. All students are requested to attend an interview with a portfolio of current work that demonstrates ability in research skills, drawing, creative thinking and problem-solving skills and an interest in art, design or related subjects. Applicants must demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm for fashion and related subjects.
What you need to know before you enrol
This is a fast-moving course based at the Chelsea centre for creative industries you will meet many like minded people and form part of a dynamic and supportive creative community. You will be expected to put time in outside of course hours to achieve a high standard of work.
What you need
Applicants must demonstrate a genuine enthusiasm for Design related subjects and a positive attitude with plenty of enthusiasm and commitment to study. You will embrace a creative community equally excited by what you have to offer and be ready to collaborate and challenge your understanding of the world in which we live.
What you can do next
Progression Opportunities: On successful completion of the course, most students continue their studies on university degrees, apprenticeships or appropriate entry level roles within the creative industry.