Starts: 5 Sep 2022
UAL L1 Diploma in Art, Design and Media
When & Where
- 5 September 2022 - 23 June 2023 ( 420 hours, 35 weeks )
- Chelsea Centre
- All age groups are permitted on this course
- Availability Yes (course free to 16-18 year olds)
- Course Code C22CRDA01A
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Be introduced to the materials and processes used in art, design and media, and the skills necessary to record and express ideas
- Be aware of how contextual research is used to support creative activities
- Be introduced to the communication skills used in support of creative activities and develop an understanding of the role that communication skills play in informing and developing ideas
- Use previously acquired skills, knowledge and understanding to explore and resolve 2D, 3D and time-based creative problems
- Demonstrate personal strengths in art, design and media and to use the knowledge, understanding and skills developed in previous units.
Class format and activities
The class will be based in a well-equipped studio in a specialist centre where you will be supported to explore a range of media and approaches by expert lecturers. Industry relevant briefs will be delivered that will allow you to explore your personal voice supported by individual tutorials with lecturers. You will work with like minded peers in your group to develop and share ideas and occasionally work on projects together. Alongside this you will have a range of technical workshops in support of your studies together with progression activities to support you develop an understanding of the different specialist areas. Assessment Methods: You will be assessed through seven units. Unit 1 & 2 represent the Award Qualification. Following successful achievement of these you will progress to Units 3-6 to explore different specialist areas and in Unit 7 you will create a final major project. All assessment is through the work you produce, sketchbooks and practical work. Assessment will be supportive with deadlines towards the end of each term in which individual feedback will be given to support your next steps.
The L1 Diploma has no formal entry requirements as we recognise that candidates may be applying from a range of diverse experiences. Entry to the course is through an interview in which advice and guidance will be provided focussed on supporting your progression in the creative sector.
What you need to know before you enrol
This is an exciting course that will encourage you to experiment with a range of different specialist areas, techniques and ideas. You will need to be enthusiastic and welcome the opportunity to try new and interesting experiences!
What you need
In this diverse course there will be various small equipment & material needs as we progress through the course. This will vary depndeingon your individual amibitions and interests. You will need to maintain a sketchbook and/or blog of your work.
What you can do next
On successfully achieving the L1 Diploma in Art, Design & Media you can progress onto the UAL L2 Diploma in Art & Design.