Starts: 22 Feb 2022
Short Fiction Workshop
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Employ a variety of strategies to generate ideas for writing short stories
- Participate fully in a workshop environment
- Feed back on each other’s work with focus and sensitivity
- Continue to explore point of view, voice, syntax and balance in writing short stories
- Read and discuss a range of published stories
- Begin to evaluate how and why stories work – your own and published work
Class format and activities
Generally in each session, we will discuss the published text provided the previous week, generate new material through writing exercises, and work in small and large groups sharing and feeding back on student work.
- Previous participation in a short story or flash fiction course and/or presently engaged in writing short stories.
- Regular reading of short stories
- Fluency in reading and writing in English language, minimum Level 2 literacy,
What you need to know before you enrol
This course will be delivered online using Microsoft Teams.
There is no formal assessment for this course. However, to monitor your learning and progress, tutors will assess your participation in classroom activities. Tutor and peers will give regular feedback on your writing.
Students will need to be willing to write and share their work and also write and read texts outside of class.
What you need
You will need access to a computer or tablet with internet access to help make notes, undertake any research for your course, and complete any work and studies outside class times.
Notebook, pen or pencil and folder to store materials. You will also need access to a printer.
What you can do next
All other Creative Writing courses offered at Morley College