Starts: 5 Oct 2021
Natural Dyeing TASTER
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Learn how to prepare fabric for dyeing
- Discover how to create colours on fabrics from plants, using plants extracts and botanical matter
- Experiment with resist and pattern techniques
- Visit the Morley College dye garden to learn about plants that can grow in UK
- Complete a mini swatchbook of fabrics on different bases showing natural dye colour with notes
Class format and activities
Teaching is both on a group and individual one-to-one basis. The tutor will give demonstrations and presentations and be on hand to guide experiments. In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment. Over 2 days, students will learn to use natural dye plants to create colour onto fabric. We will also take note and inspiration from the history of natural dyeing, and current developments in this field.
This course is suitable for beginners and all levels
What you need to know before you enrol
The textile studio is on the top floor of the building and we will also be using the college garden, a reasonable level of fitness is required. Some chemicals maybe used for mordanting fibres. The class is situated on the second floor of the Nancy Seear Building. There is partial disabled access via a stair lift. Please contact ALS on: 0207 450 1972 or Art & Design Admin on: 0207 450 1934 before enrolling if you have any mobility support needs
What you need
A sketchbook/notebook and pen with space to attach fabric swatches and an apron.
What you can do next
Morley College offer a wide range of textile and creative courses, please see the website or course brochure for inspiration.