Starts: 19 Mar 2022
Millinery Masterclass: Origami Ribbon Trims
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- to produce a range of samples using a variety of techniques
- To use ribbons to create different cockades and flowers
- To develop your creativity
- Experiment and further develop your own designs
Class format and activities
This is in-centre course. Teaching is both as the whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, hand-outs and other technical support material where appropriate.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.Achievement on your course will be measured by whether you meet the learning outcomes above. At the start of the course, you will have an opportunity to discuss these with your tutor and set your own personal targets, linked to the learning outcomes and future goals..
Suitable for beginners, but good hand sewing skills are essential., A degree of manual dexterity is necessary., Students must be able to speak, read and write in English , Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
Excellent attendance and punctuality are important, for students to fully achieve the course outcomes. Please see this link for Covid safety guidance:https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/help/our-response-to-covid-19/ This will be updated according to any changes in Government guidance.This course takes place in the Fashion Studio which is on the 1st floor of the Nancy Seear building. Disabled access is by stairlift only. Contact us on 0207 450 1934 if you have mobility issues.
What you need
• A basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, small trimming scissors paper scissors, tape measure, pins, a thimble (essential), tailor's chalk. Also: hand sewing needles, sewing threads (to match the colour of your materials)• an apron• a note book and pencil. ,
• You may bring several meters of millinery petersham 1.5cm 5/8”, 2.5cm 1”, 3.6cm1½” Satin ribbon of at least 7cm width and 2-3m of wired ribbon, Please note, you can bring your leftover ribbons in your chosen colour any lengths you have, but some to be around 1m., Millinery and haberdashery suppliers in London you might want to visit are: Atelier Millinery, Petershams, New Fan Trimmings (near Oxford Circus), MacCulloch and Wallis, Kleins, Barnett and Lawson and M Courts (M Courts and Barnet and Lawson only sell by multiple packs but they are still worth looking at as they very reasonably priced). V V Rouleaux whilst expensive sell beautiful ribbons. ,
• You will be able to purchase petersham and ribbons at the college at approximately £15,
• You will be advised in the first lesson if you wish to purchase something in particular, like beads or other ribbons that you would like to experiment with and bring for second lesson.
What you can do next
We run a variety of accessories and specialist millinery courses, as well as other courses which might be of interest. Please consult the course guide or http://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/departments/fashion for further details.