Starts: 21 Nov 2021
Millinery Masterclass: Keep that hat on! Bespoke wire bands and fittings
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Effectively remove bounce and spring from millinery wire
- Make a bespoke wire band or fitting.
- Position a wire fitting into an existing base to create a secure fitting
- Sew a wire fitting into an existing base to create a secure fitting
Class format and activities
During course hours you will work online at your own pace on the set project; with demonstrations, video and feedback provided by your tutor. Teaching is both to the whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis. To get the most from this course some study or completion of activities outside of class time may be required. Achievement on your course will be measured by whether you meet the learning outcomes above. At the start of the course you will have an opportunity to discuss these with your tutor and set your own personal targets, linked to the learning outcomes and future goals.
This is an Intermediate/Advanced level course. Some experience of the subject is necessary. Basic hand sewing skills are essential. Students must be able to speak, read and write in English. Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential.
What you need to know before you enrol
Enrolment closes one week before the course commences. This course is held on-line. You will receive an introductory email with guidance in how to access Teams .You will need:
• a reliable internet connection
• a computing device such as a laptop or tablet with with webcam & microphone.
• an up to date internet browser installed
• access to both a microphone and speakers/headphones Joining us via Microsoft Teams : Each of our online courses has a dedicated group (called a “team”) in Microsoft Teams, for online communication and collaboration between students and course tutors. To access your course, browse to www.office.com and sign in with your Morley College London email address and password. Your e-mail address is your student number followed by "@morley.ac.uk". Once you have signed in, click the?Teams icon to open Microsoft Teams
• to find your course content, select Teams in the left-hand menu and click the team that has the matching course code in the title
• when it’s time to join your class online, click Meetings in the left-hand menu, then select your next class meeting in the calendar and click Join. If you are new to Microsoft Teams, try our?Getting Started Guide our contact our IT Services team for support : w: https://servicedesk.morleycollege.ac.uk, e: firstname.lastname@example.org
What you need
3 metres of 1.2mm Millinery Wire (available from Petersham.com) Small jewellery type pliers/wire cutters. A small percher type hat or base to use for positioning and sewing a bespoke fitting to. A basic sewing kit to include: Hand sewing needles. Pins. Thimble. Sewing thread. Tape measure. Sharp fabric scissors. A small tube of Uhu glue. Pencil and notebook/sketch pad. An apron to protect your clothes.
What you can do next
We run a variety of other millinery and accessories courses. Please consult the course guide or http://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/departments/fashion for further details. Want to go further? Our Access to Fashion Diploma course can be the first step to making Fashion your new career. For more details: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/courses/1296-access-to-fashion/1863