Starts: 19 Apr 2022
Latin Stage 1 Unit 2
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Learn to use and recognize progressively more advanced principles of grammar and syntax
- Analyse sentence structure logically
- Analyse and translate longer, adapted prose and verse passages from Latin to English and viceversa
- Understand key aspects of Latin literature and Roman culture
- Construct longer and more elaborate sentences in Latin applying a range of grammar rules
Class format and activities
Classes will be held online. During our classes, you will be working in groups and pairs, participating in class discussions; following presentations; taking notes; translating from Latin to English and from English to Latin.
This course is suitable for advanced beginners and intermediate students: you should have completed Latin Stage 1, Unit 1 or equivalent.
What you need to know before you enrol
Regular work is given to be done at home to support and consolidate your learning. You should therefore dedicate some time for this on a weekly basis. The tutor uses Moodle (the virtual learning environment) to post material from the lesson and help you prepare for forthcoming lessons. It is important that you have access to a computer for the duration of the course and that you consult Moodle at least once a week. The course will be delivered online. It is important that you have access to a computer for the duration of the course.
What you need
A course book will be negotiated at the start of term. Please bring to each session pen and notebook and your own device to access an online Latin dictionary, or a hard copy of a Latin dictionary.
What you can do next
Your tutor will advise you.