Starts: 12 Feb 2022
Jewellery: An Introduction to Colouring Titanium
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare titanium for colouring with heat
- Work with titanium sheet and wire including sawing, simple forming, filing and finishing (in particular the difference between using titanium and using silver for jewellery)
- Colour and decorate titanium using heat and a variety of pattern making techniques
- Produce finished pieces of titanium jewellery such as earrings, brooches pendants and cuffs.
- Understand by experience the colour sequencing of titanium
Class format and activities
After looking at and discussing examples and samples, the tutor will demonstrate techniques of different ways of producing pattern on titanium using heat. Samples of the different techniques will be produced as references for finished pieces. Learners can either produce pieces for future use in other jewellery classes or produce one or two finished pieces. Small quantities of titanium in addition to the class materials may be available to purchase at cost price.
The course is suitable for complete beginners and learners who want to gain further confidence in jewellery making techniques.
What you need to know before you enrol
The jewellery studio is on the 3rd floor of the main building, there is lift access. You need a moderate level of fitness to be able to use some of the jewellery equipment or machinery.
What you need
Apron, notebook, and pen. A permanent black felt-tip marker or range with different thicknesses. Black and white drawings, designs and/or photocopies of images to use for surface patterns. Simple designs such as linocut patterns work best. .If you wish to make a final piece incorporating silver or silver findings, then please bring any 0.8mm silver wire that you may have for earring wires and jump-rings or £3 to cover silver purchases from the tutor. Titanium fittings can be purchased from the tutor at cost.
What you can do next
This course is a short introduction to jewellery making with a specific metal. If you would like to expand your skills in jewellery making you could consider doing one of our term time courses such as Beginners and Intermediate Jewellery or