Starts: 13 Sep 2021
Chartered Institute of IT Level 1 ECDL Award in ICT User Skills
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- IT User Fundamentals - Builds your confidence on basic interaction with computers, from start-up to productive use and basic computer housekeeping.
- Using Email and the Internet - Helps you understand how to use internet and email in a safe and secure way, expand your knowledge on key terms and develop fundamental knowledge of computer security.
- Security for IT Users - Provides you with an essential understanding of how to use a computer in a safe and secure manner, protecting your own data as well as that of other users.
Class format and activities
• At the beginning of this academic year, the mode of delivery is online only; In-centre learning at the Waterloo Centre is the mode of delivery for this course
• Achievement on your course will be measured by completion of an online BCS course bundle in parallel to a variety of online and offline assignments for the three modules. In completion of each module, you will be sitting a mock exam and a formal BCS examination.
• The qualification gained after successfully completing the three modules is BCS ECDL Essentials (Level 1 Award for IT Users/ITQ.) It is accredited on both the QCF (England and Wales) and SCQF (Scotland) framework.
• Your progress towards achieving the learning outcomes will be reviewed throughout the course. At the start of the course you will have an opportunity to discuss these with your tutor and set your own personal targets.
• This course is for anyone with English Language skills at level 1 or above. Also, you need to have some experience of using a computer and the desire to extend your practical skills and productivity in a work-like environment, and gain a qualification recognised across the UK and EU workplaces.
• All new candidates will be invited to take an initial assessment followed by interview to check their current skills and if they are suitable for this course.
What you need to know before you enrol
This course runs once a week (three hours per lesson), students are expected to attend every lesson.
• A minimum of 95% attendance and punctuality are required from all students.
• This course requires some personal study time in addition to the completion of homework. It is important that students have access to a computer outside of class in order to complete these activities.
What you need
This course requires study/completion of homework, reflection and personal studies outside of class time, you must set time aside for these activities, an average of 3 hours per week is recommended. You will need the following programs installed on your device:
• Internet Explore
• Microsoft Outlook
What you can do next
The natural progression after successful completion of this course is ITQ Level 2 ECDL Extra.