Starts: 16 Sep 2021
Carving Gargoyles and Faces: Wood and Stone
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand how gargoyles have been used in the past.
- Develop ideas and models using clay which will be used to help carve your ideas in stone or wood .
- Learn and develop tool skills and carving techniques working on you own carved gargolye in wood or stone
- Understand and practice carving and modelling eyes, noses, ears and whole faces in stone or wood.
- Understand and practice the Health and Safety of stone and wood carving and the sculpture studio workshop.
Class format and activities
Developing individual project work carving wood or stone with demonstration, practical work and discussion, with one to one and group guidance. Beginners will be given practical guidance on using chisels and health and safety information. We will be looking at visual examples of other artists work.
No. This course is open to both beginners and those with some experience.
What you need to know before you enrol
What you need
Pencil and note book /sketch book is useful Please ensure you wear stout closed in shoes and protective clothes or work apron.
What you can do next
There are further carving courses at Morley (VSC128A B C, VSC037A B C, VSC088A, VSC040A B C) which will enable you to develop skills learnt on this course. It will also be possible to carry on carving and finishing your gargoyle or face on these courses. Also other sculpture and Art & Design courses.