There are other versions of this course available. We’ve listed them below and summarized the differences between the one that you are currently viewing.
Our Blended Delivery model provides the flexibility required for small class sizes and robust access to college facilities for classes and independent study onsite while embedding vital transferable skills through online virtual learning. Achievement on your course will be measured by completion of assignments to set deadlines reflecting real world scenarios in a diverse range of formats, including:
• Academic and visual research files
• Sketchbook and portfolio
• Written assignments
• Finished garments, patterns, and toiles
• Computer Aided Design
• Digital and live presentations
• Critiques Your progress towards achieving the learning outcomes is reviewed throughout the course, with a focus on attendance and engagement. Our team of expert practitioners – specialist lecturers and technicians covering a wide range of fields – will guide you in your learning through demonstrations, lectures, feedback and discussion. Visits from guest lecturers and industry contacts provide context for the real-life application of learning in professional settings.
We welcome applications from anyone who feels that they are capable of reaching the standards required by this qualification. We offer places on the basis of portfolio and all students are expected to have a good standard of computer literacy. All applicants will be invited to participate in one of our signature Virtual Taster Days. You will have the opportunity to experience a range of practice sessions and to present your portfolio during a personal interview. Please download a copy of the Programme Specification for additional information. If you are looking to help build your portfolio skills before completing an application, we can recommend short courses in Clothes Making, Pattern Cutting and Fashion Design and Portfolio offered here at Morley College London: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/study-areas/fashion
The HNC is a one-year full time course in a Blended Delivery model. Excellent attendance and punctuality of over 90% is required from all students. In addition to scheduled class sessions, this course requires the completion of self-directed research alongside academic and practical assignments. Attendance at Technician led weekly workshops is also required. Our dedicated ‘Fashion Lab’ workrooms are fully equipped with all of the industry standard equipment needed for your course enhanced by a range of digital applications:
• Individual work areas – Juki industrial sewing machine, K&L Stand, half scale stand, cutting tables, ironing station
• Textiles equipment – sublimation printer, button hole machine, embellisher machine, princess pleater, heat press
• Apple Mac workstations - full Adobe software package
• Gerber Technologies digital pattern cutting software (HND Year 2 only)
• Photography studio
• Access to Makerbot 3D Printer You will also have access to computers, scanners and printers for independent study in the College’s learning centre.
There is a Materials Fee of £150 to be paid at the start of each academic year for materials packs of consumable supplies relating to your coursework. Support may be available for qualified applicants. A list of required textbooks, tools and equipment required for use in college and at home will be provided at the start of the course. You will also need the following equipment at home for online classes and independent study:
• A sewing machine
• A desktop or laptop computer with camera and microphone/headset
• Access to internet data/wifi
• A camera or camera phone
HN qualifications in fashion are nationally recognised qualifications to support you in your continued progression. If you complete the first year of study, you will achieve an HNC in Fashion and Textiles, equivalent to the first year on university study. If you stay on to complete the full 2-year HND Art & Design (Fashion) course, you will achieve the equivalent of the first 2 years of a university degree. An HND qualification can be applied to a BA (Hons) Top-Up application or help you succeed in taking the next step in your fashion career. All Morley College London HND Art & Design (Fashion) graduates who meet our standards for attendance and assessment are guaranteed a place on our BA (Hons) Top-Up in Fashion, validated by Ravensbourne University.