Patchwork and Quilting: Beginners
When and Where
- 29 Apr 2019 - 8 Jul 2019 (22.5 hours, 9 weeks)
- Days and times
- Monday 18:30 - 21:00
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- £225 Staged Payments available
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- This course has started but late enrolments are accepted.
- Kaye Telford
- Course code
What you will learn
For beginners in patchwork and quilting interested in learning English and American traditional and fast piecing techniques. The course includes hand and machine sewing, use of colour, fabric preparation and constructing a quilt top. Use of the sewing machine will also be covered in lessons. Returning students may wish to pursue their own projects in consultation with the tutor.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Make examples of English and American Patchwork, Quilting and Appliqu+ techniques using traditional and template free techniques into a small sampler quilt.
- Use specialist tools and equipment safely to make patchwork.
- Use basic design techniques and colour theory in your own work.
- Experiment and explore new techniques and methods in your own work.
- Hand stitch and use a sewing machine with confidence.
- Bind a small sampler quilt.
Class format and activities
There is a mix of theory and practical learning in each class. You should be able to begin making an example of American or English patchwork, appliqué or quilting in class.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
The only entry requirements are enthusiasm and interest in learning patchwork, quilting and appliqué and the course is open to all students with an interest in furthering their skills and knowledge of the subject. You may have some or no experience, new students work alongside ongoing students. Ability to do simple calculations and to read instructions in English will enhance learning on this course.
What you need to know before you enrol
Using specialist equipment, lifting and carrying of sewing machines is part of this course.
The class is situated on the second floor of the Nancy Seear Building. There is partial disabled access via a stair lift. Please contact ALS on: 0207 450 1972 or Art & Design Admin on: 0207 450 1934 before enrolling if you have any mobility support needs
The Textile studio is on the 2nd floor of the Nancy Seear building.
What you will need for your class
•Please bring a basic sewing kit – 100% cotton fabrics, needles, pins, scissors, matching or neutral coloured threads. Fabrics should be dressweight or specialist patchwork fabrics. You will need approximately 1.5 to 2 metres of assorted fabrics for the top of a quilt and 1.5 metres for backing fabric. Fabrics can be recycled or new.
•If you wish to work on your own projects, please bring materials for it – these may be recycled or new.
•Notebook, pencil and eraser
• You may also wish to obtain a folder for storing handouts.
What you can do next
Other patchwork and quilting or textiles courses at Morley College.