Folk Choir at Morley
When and Where
- 29 Apr 2019 - 8 Jul 2019 (13.5 hours, 9 weeks)
- Days and times
- Monday 18:00 - 19:30
- Iklectik Arts lab
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Laura Hewison
- Course code
What you will learn
Discover the joy of singing in a folk choir. Enjoy the camaraderie of singing in a group and the challenge of communicating in this art form.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Sing a variety of different folk songs as part of the group
- Develop aural and musical skills by learning by ear and singing harmonies in parts
- Sing with some interpretation and expression appropriate to the text and music of the folksong repertoire
- Understand some of the challenges of blending as a member of a choir in the folk style
- Demonstrate an understanding of some of the basic principles of vocal technique
- Sing with greater confidence
Class format and activities
Group physical and vocal warm up exercises
Learning a selection of folksong melodies
Explore harmonisation (if appropriate) in the folk style
Consider the context of folk song repertoire and expression
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This course is for absolute beginners.
Enthusiasm and a willingness to experiment are essential!
Sight singing is not necessary!
Some experience of singing will be helpful.
What you need to know before you enrol
The course involves some stretching exercises during the vocal warm ups, however, if you have mobility difficulties, simply inform the tutor who will endeavour to provide a tailor-made variation. The course is in an offsite location just round the corner from the main building - the wonderfully quirky Iklectik Arts Lab.
What you will need for your class
Please bring a pencil to make notes
Music will be provided
Feel free to bring water in a bottle
What you can do next
There is a wide range of choirs and singing classes at Morley College in a variety of styles.
The Solo Singing: Folk class gives the opportunity to explore folk singing in more detail. There are also classes in: Jazz Singing; Soul, Rock & Pop; Classical singing; Vocal Technique; and choirs of all sizes and styles.
For further information have a look at the website or contact the Programme Manager: Pop Music email@example.com 020 74501806