Key Concepts in Science: More Chemistry
When and Where
- 6 Jun 2019 - 4 Jul 2019 (12.5 hours, 5 weeks)
- Days and times
- Thursday 13:30 - 16:00
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Julia Rey-Nores de Labeta
- Course code
What you will learn
This course is a continuation from Key Concepts in Science: Chemistry, however it is open to anyone who wants to find out more about Chemistry for fun or for future study. You will learn key topics in chemistry through explanation, practical demonstration and hands-on investigation in our science laboratory.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Describe the properties of the different groups of the periodic table.
- Construct chemical formulae.
- Construct a balanced equation.
- Perform basic chemistry calculations.
- Compare empirical formulae and molecular formulae.
- State the factors affecting rate of reaction and investigate these in the laboratory.
- Define a catalyst, describe how a catalyst functions, and give real life examples of catalysts.
- Develop skills in using apparatus, measuring techniques and using materials in the laboratory.
Class format and activities
You will learn through practical activities, demonstrations, videos and discussion.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Open to all - no prior experience necessary.
What you need to know before you enrol
This course includes practical work in the science laboratory. You should wear sensible shoes and be
prepared to wear a lab coat and tie your hair back if necessary.
For further course information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What you will need for your class
All materials will be provided.
What you can do next
Help your children with Chemistry at Key Stage 2 and 3.
Level 2 course in Science or Chemistry.
Apply to join the Access to HE: Science course (additional entry requirements apply - please see course page for further details)