Key Concepts in Science: More Chemistry
When and Where
- 24 Apr 2020 - 22 May 2020 (12.5 hours, 5 weeks)
- Days and times
- Friday 13:30 - 16:00
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Julia Rey-Nores de Labeta
- Course code
What you will learn
This course is a continuation from Key Concepts in Science: Chemistry, however the course is open to all and can be taken with no prior knowledge. Learn a range of topics in chemistry in a series of fun, hands-on sessions in our purpose built Science lab.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Describe the properties of the different groups of the periodic table.
- Construct chemical formulae
- Construct a balanced equation.
- Perform basic chemistry calculations.
- Compare empirical formulae and molecular formulae.
- State the factors affecting rate of reaction and investigate these in the laboratory.
- Define a catalyst, describe how a catalyst functions, and give real life examples of catalysts.
- Develop skills in using apparatus, measuring techniques and using materials in the laboratory
Class format and activities
A series of interactive and engaging sessions delivered by a subject specialist in Chemistry. You will learn through practical activities, demonstrations, videos, and discussion.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Open to all - no prior knowledge required. It is recommended that Key Concepts in Science: Chemistry is taken before this course, however this is not essential.
What you need to know before you enrol
This course includes practical work in the science laboratory. You should wear sensible shoes and be prepared to wear a lab coat and tie your hair back if necessary.
For further course information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What you will need for your class
You will require access to a notepad, pen and a calculator. All other materials and handouts will be provided.
What you can do next
Help your children with Chemistry at Key Stage 2 and 3.
Apply to study a Level 2 course in science or Chemistry such as GCSE.
Explore other areas of Science wtih our Key Concepts courses in Biology, Physics, Earth Science, the Solar System, and Microbiology.
Apply to study Access to HE: Science (additional entry requirements apply - please see course page for further details)