Street Dance - Foundations & Choreography
What you will learn
Learn the foundations and influences from different dance styles within hip hop culture (old school hip hop) and the elements of new school choreography, as often seen in the commercial scene. Learn fundamental & energetic sequences that will help you work on coordination, dynamics, style and musicality in a supportive and inspiring environment. Come ready to sweat and have a fun time!
Achievement on your course will be measured by whether you meet the following learning outcomes. At the start of the course you will have an opportunity to discuss these with your tutor and set your own personal targets, linked to the learning outcomes and future goals i.e. progression to an advanced-level course.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- 1. A vocabulary of foundation moves from different styles within the hip hop dance culture
- 2. To understand and perform different dynamics, levels and transitions in a choreographed sequence
- A fundamental understanding of musicality
- 4. Knowledge of the different styles within hip hop dance, their characteristics and origins
Class format and activities
Mode of delivery: online plus. We will be using Microsoft Teams as our online platform for live-stream. The tutor will provide support material such as practical tasks, video and written resources via Moodle. The class will be delivered with adjustments being made for those joining from their home.
- Warm up using foundations: we will break down and work on the technique of various key moves and grooves of hip hop dance to build a vocabulary of foundation moves that can be used both in choreography and freestyle
- Learning a routine to a specific music(s): a combination of movements that will be broken down and explained to be executed to a specific or various songs, to work on dynamics, transitions and musicality and feeling
- You will be able to have your own input and expression, freestyle for a phrase, etc.
- Tutor demonstration
- Video material & discussion
In order to ensure you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular constructive and supportive feedback from your tutor.
In addition to your dance practice, study can include the use of digital resources such as film & photography, useful websites and connection with online communities of interest via social media to enhance your learning.
Dance study offers a range of benefits including being an enjoyable way to increase fitness whilst enhancing wellbeing. Dance practice at Morley can also serve to enhance skills relevant for employment by means of encouraging increased confidence, physical dexterity and concentration.
Constructive and supportive feedback from your tutor will help you succeed during the class.
The class is open to all from beginners to those with some experience in this dance style, the tutor will adapt and give different ‘challenges’ depending on the level of experience. A good level of fitness is recommended as this is an energetic class.
What you need to know before you enrol
A good level of fitness, however adjustments will be made if needed.
Excellent attendance and punctuality will be required from all students. This course will include some completion of activities outside of class time, e.g. preparation of favourite exercises to share with fellow students.
Photography and film recording of class activities may be used in order to aid learning. These images may also be used for publicity or marketing materials produced by Morley College, both online and in print. You will have the opportunity to either confirm or decline consent to being filmed or photographed.
Please consult your doctor if you are pregnant, have any serious health conditions or a history of injury. Please inform your tutor if there is any physical activity you have be advised to avoid.
What you will need for your class
Comfortable clothing, trainers, water.
What you can do next
Continue developing your practice by signing up for the next term of Street Dance: Foundations and Choreography. Your tutor will be able to assess if you are ready to progress on to a higher level, as well as suggest complementary styles of study to enhance your current practice, including music and drama studies. You may also visit our website or contact email@example.com