Stone Carving Sculpture
When and Where
- 14 Oct 2020 - 16 Dec 2020 (30 hours, 10 weeks)
- Days and times
- Wednesday 18:30 - 21:30
- Pelham Hall
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee now part of Concession fee
- This course has started but late enrolments are accepted.
- Belinda Edwards
- Course code
What you will learn
This course will allow you to explore sculpture whilst learning fundamental stone carving techniques. Beginners and returning students work alongside in a mutually supportive environment learning from both your tutor and each other. You can choose to develop you own projects in abstract or figurative sculpture, lettering, or functional objects. Develop ideas in clay and carve in various types of stone. All levels welcome including beginners. Basic materials included.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Develop an understanding of basic carving techniques
- Be able to carve a flat, concave and convex surface in stone
- Develop basic awareness of stone sculpture, both historical and contemporary
- Be aware of Health and safety in the studio and when carving
- Be aware of how to maintain tools and equipment
- Develop your own projects from an idea to stone carving
Class format and activities
Tuition is mainly one to one with demonstrations and group discussions. After an introduction to basic skills and health and safety you will be developing and working on personal individual projects in consultation with your tutor. You will have continuous support and guidance both group and individual discussion and feedback.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Beginners welcome and no previous experience of stone carving is required.
What you need to know before you enrol
None. There is some lifting but help is always available. We are off site from the Main College - please check Pelham hall map on the website. We are wheel chair accessible.
What you will need for your class
Stout hard shoes and apron ready for dusty work. Pencil and or charcoal and sketch books.
What you can do next
Degree in sculpture, Foundation in Art and Design. N.V.Q in stone masonry, restoration, conservation.