ABRSM Grade 6 Aural Skills and Musicianship
What you will learn
This course uses the ABRSM Grade 6 syllabus. Suitable for students who want to work towards taking practical exams, or wish to further develop their musicianship skills.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Develop ability to hear and clap the pulse in a piece of music
- Develop ability to memorise the upper melodic line from a musical extract in two parts
- Develop ability to identify the metre of a piece of music (2 or 3 beats in a bar)
- Gain confidence and develop strategies for sight singing melodic material
- Develop musical memory and sing back short phrases accurately
- Understand and develop ability to identify perfect and imperfect cadences
- Develop knowledge of musical styles through listening and studying scores
- Identify features of a short piece of music, including dynamics, articulation and tempo changes
- Be more confident about what you hear.
Class format and activities
This is a live online face to face course.
Exercises and drills to improve internalisation of musical elements Group and individual exercises involving singing and clapping Practicing the tests specific to the ABRSM practical exams at these levels.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Students must be willing to use their voices for singing exercises, and you need to be able to sing in tune to benefit from this course. Some success with the aural tests at the lower grades will benefit the training at this level.
What you need to know before you enrol
Developing good aural skills requires commitment to practice, akin to learning an instrument.
Achievement on your course will be measured by whether you meet the following learning outcomes. At the start of the course you will have an opportunity to discuss these with your tutor and set your own personal targets, linked to the learning outcomes and future goals.
Excellent attendance and punctuality is required from all students. This course requires study/completion of activities outside of class time.
What you will need for your class
You will need to bring manuscript paper, a pencil and eraser.
To join this online class you will need a good internet connection and computer/tablet with webcam and sound
What you can do next
ABRSM Grade 7 Aural Skills and Musicianship, Aural Training and Musicanship courses.