English Country Dancing Intermediate and Advanced
What you will learn
Learn some more advanced English country dances from Playford to those of the present day. Accompanied by live music. Suitable for more experienced students.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Walk through given patterns and sequences in order to adapt the phrasing to the use of space and different configurations: pairs, trios, quartets etc.
- * Rehearse given complete dances made up of a variety of figures: two, three and four couple sets and long ways.
- * Have fun, enjoyment, relaxation and laughter.
- * Rehearse given figures with the relevant tune, using the same process of listening and walking-through.
- *Listen to and identify the phrasing of particular musical accompaniments, noting rhythm, pace and melody, so as to be able to coordinate given movements with the music with accuracy and appropriate quality.
- * Walk through given patterns and sequences so as to build up the dance with an awareness of the correct spacing and interactions.
- *Improve and maintain well-being by means of the mental, physical and social activity of dance.
- * Perform whole dances with and without calls
Class format and activities
You will be learning patterns and sequences by walking through them before dancing. You will meet other dancers and be able to socialise with them Above all you will have fun! ENJOYMENT! and LAUGHTER!
In addition to your dance practice, study can include the use of digital resources such as film & photography, useful websites and connection with online communities of interest via social media to enhance your learning.
Dance study offers a range of benefits including being an enjoyable way to increase fitness whilst enhancing wellbeing. Dance practice at Morley can also serve to enhance skills relevant for employment by means of encouraging increased confidence, physical dexterity and concentration.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You need a good knowledge of basic English Country Dancing, figures and steps, and an ability to memorise more complicated sequences of movement. You do not need to bring a partner.
Online enrolment on term 3 of this course, starting in April 2014, is only available to those enrolled in the previous term. If you are a current student you will have received an email alerting you to this. If you are new to this course please select 'Ask a Question' and the curriculum department will contact you.
What you need to know before you enrol
You need a reasonable level of fitness and be able to stand for periods of time while learning the dance patterns, and also good mobility and co-ordination
Photography and film recording of class activities may be used in order to aid learning. These images may also be used for publicity or marketing materials produced by Morley College, both online and in print. You will have the opportunity to either confirm or decline consent to being filmed or photographed.
What you will need for your class
You need to bring comfortable, flexible, soft-soled, low-heeled indoor shoes. Jazz dance shoes are ideal. No trainers please.
What you can do next
You can further develop your knowledge of English Country Dancing by attending dances run by Morley College Folk Dance Club or at residential Dance Weekends. Also dances at Cecil Sharp House (the headquarters of the English Folk Dance and Song Society) and local Folk Dance Clubs if you have any in your area.