Embellishment: Make a Beaded Fabric Neckpiece
When and Where
- 21 Mar 2020 - 21 Mar 2020 (5.5 hours, 1 day)
- Days and times
- Saturday 10:00 - 16:30
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Eileen Wedderburn
- Course code
What you will learn
In this workshop, we will be making a textile (fabric) beaded neckpiece. We will be using a selection of fabrics and techniques to create a variety of rosettes, and then further embellishing with assorted beads to create a fashionable statement necklace.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- to use a selection of textures of fabric to create rosettes
- to roll fabric confidently to produce a variety of rosettes
- to sew correctly beads and sequins on to rosettes and neckpiece backing
- to experiment further and develop your own design
- to apply a neat finish to the necklace
Class format and activities
You will produce a range of samples and explore how these can be used on garments, accessories, etc. Teaching is both to the whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, hand-outs and other technical support material where appropriate.
Constructive and supportive feedback from your tutor will help you succeed during the class.
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
•Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
•Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
•Basic numeracy is essential
•Basic sewing skills are essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, small trimming scissors, dressmaker’s pins, tape measure
• tailor's chalk and/or fabric marking pens
• sewing thread and hand sewing needles
• paper scissors, notebook, pen, A4 ring binder
• you must purchase a materials pack from the tutor at no more than £5
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
You can continue to attend further Embellishment courses, and also consider the wide range of specialised weekend courses, which include decorated vintage and period garments and accessories.
Please contact Cathy.Reynolds@morleycollege.ac.uk or the course guide for further details.
You might want to try one of the following:
Embellishment: Beading for Bridal Wear and Evening Wear
Millinery Summer Trims: Feathers, Flowers and Sinamay
Embellish & Upcycle your Wardrobe
Bridal and Eveningwear Techniques
Want to go further? Our Access to Fashion Diploma course can be the first step to making Fashion your new career. For more details: https://www.morleycollege.ac.uk/courses/12051-access-to-he-diploma-fashion/14242