Solo Singing Folk
When and Where
- 20 Apr 2020 - 29 Jun 2020 (15 hours, 10 weeks)
- Days and times
- Monday 19:45 - 21:15
- Iklectik Arts lab
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Laura Hewison
- Course code
What you will learn
Ever wanted to sing in the folk style? Discover the varied tradition of folk song and engage in this solo singing course!
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Present a variety of folk songs as a solo in class
- Perform with greater confidence
- Develop aural and musical skills by learning by ear
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to interpret folk songs and express them in your own way
- Present songs in the folk style with some awareness of their context
- Demonstrate an understanding of some of the basic principles of vocal technique
Class format and activities
Group exercises and vocal warm ups.
Singing in front of class members (in a master-class format)
Listening to and appreciating other students’ performances.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You should be able to sing in time and in tune in order to fully benefit from this course.
What you need to know before you enrol
The course involves some stretching exercises during the vocal warm ups, however, if you have difficulty in mobility, simply inform the tutor who will endeavour to provide a tailor-made variation.
What you will need for your class
Music will be provided but you will be invited to bring songs you already know to some classes if you would like to.
What you can do next
Morley College offers many singing and musicianship courses. Solo Singing 2 and Enjoy Your Voice 3 would represent the next the realm of solo singing but you might like to consider singing as part of a group e.g. Morley Voices, Morley Choral Society, Folk Choir or Morley College Choir.