Keyboard Harmony Introduction B
When and Where
- 8 Jan 2020 - 25 Mar 2020 (16.5 hours, 11 weeks)
- Days and times
- Wednesday 14:45 - 16:15
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- This course is full. Register or log in to join the waiting list.
- Selena Kay
- Course code
What you will learn
This course continues to develop fluency at the keyboard. Build on your ability to put chords to use in a practical and musical context, developing greater confidence with chord shapes and increased harmonic knowledge.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- Develop co-ordination and independence of hands
- Play harmonic sequences with good voice-leading
- Harmonise melodies with simple accompaniments
- Transpose material to different keys
Class format and activities
Each student will have their own keyboard with headphones. The classes will consist of instruction and demonstration as well as individual practice time and feedback. There will also be some group playing and discussion.
• Improve knowledge of scales and chords in major and minor keys
• Develop application of voice-leading concepts
• Harmonise melodies in major and minor keys
• Interpret chord charts
• Develop transposition skills
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You will need to have elementary keyboard skills (1-2 years) and knowledge of music theory at Grades 2-3.
What you need to know before you enrol
You will need to have access to a keyboard or piano outside of the class to practice between lessons
What you will need for your class
Notebook, pencil and eraser, and manuscript paper for music notation.
Text to be advised by the tutor.
Other materials to be supplied by the tutor.
What you can do next
This course runs throughout the year and you can attend it for as many terms as you wish. You may also be interested in joining one of our Piano/Keyboard courses, such as 'Piano/Keyboards 2A/B/C' and 'Piano/Keyboards 3A/B/C: Transition to Workshop'.
You may also want to enhance your Music Theory and musicianship skills by joining the 'ABRSM Music Theory: Grade 3-5', Musicianship 1A/B/C' or 'Aural Training & Musicianship 1A/B/C'.