Piano Sight Reading Beginners
What you will learn
This is a practical class that will focus on developing sight reading skills. We will learn strategies for improving playing at sight, including how to scan the music for key features such as hand positions, and musical patterns.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- - Know how to approach sight reading tasks for better results
- - Quickly recognise patterns in music such as chord shapes, and scales
- - Gain confidence in reading music as blocks of patterns rather than focusing on individual notes
- - Enjoy the benefits of sight-reading, such as learning music more quickly, thinking ahead, and promoting fluency.
Class format and activities
- Warm-up exercises starting with simple reading tasks
- Group playing of material at different levels
- Individual reading tasks
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This course is suitable for players with some experience of playing piano and reading music, who wish to start developing their sight reading skills.You should be committed to take part in class activities and to practice outside of class.
What you need to know before you enrol
Developing good sight reading skills requires dedication and discipline to practice.
What you will need for your class
Notepad and pencil.
What you can do next
You can join the Piano Sight Reading Improvers course, starting in January.