Piano 1A Fast-track
When and Where
- 21 Apr 2020 - 30 Jun 2020 (20 hours, 10 weeks)
- Days and times
- Tuesday 11:00 - 13:00
- Morley College London Waterloo Centre
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Hwee-san Tan
- Course code
What you will learn
An intensive 2-hour class for absolute beginners, taught in the digital piano classroom. You will learn basic piano technique, including 5-finger patterns and chords, simple pieces, as well as music reading, through individual and group tuition and playing.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- know the layout of the keyboard
- demonstrate fundamentals of good technique: good posture and hand position
- play simple 5-finger exercises, simple melodies and chords
- read and write simple pitch, rhythm and time signatures
- listen to yourself and others
- shift hand position between and within phrases
- play simple melodies and accompaniments with some independence and co-ordination of hands
- play in front of others with some confidence
Class format and activities
Listening to tutor explanation and demonstration
Playing with and to others in the class
Playing individually to the tutor
Listening to others and group discussion
aural and theory exercises
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This course is suitable for absolute beginners.
You will need access to a piano (acoustic or digital) outside class.
Willingness to do short, regular practice sessions between classes: at least 10-15 minutes, at least 4 times a week.
What you need to know before you enrol
You should be careful when playing the piano to maintain good posture and take regular breaks to stretch and relax, to avoid overuse injuries.
What you will need for your class
Notebook, pencil and eraser, and manuscript paper for music notation.
Text: Adult Piano Adventures by Nancy and Randall Faber, All-in-one Piano Course, Book 1. Other materials to be supplied by the tutor.
What you can do next
You can continue with the Piano/keyboards 1B/C Fast-track course in the summer school. Morley offers piano courses through all levels up to advanced.