What you will learn
German Tanztheater, most famously used by choreographer Pina Bausch, is known for its beauty and expression. On this course, you will learn the basic techniques of Jooss, Leder and Laban, as well as a range of helpful elements to create meaningful dance sequences yourself. This course is a mixture of technical exercises and sequences given by the tutor and room for improvisation and self- expression. You will also develop your dance compositional skills through using the tools of German Tanztheater as this course is regularly performing in Morley College's Dance events.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- perform basic technical elements of Tanztheater (contractions, drop and recovery of weight, body manipulations, leading from wrist and chest)
- remember order of exercises
- create material and build choreography by finding purposeful and expressive movements through improvisation
- present improvissations as part of a in class sharing or performance
Class format and activities
Your tutor will be mentoring, guiding and helping you throughout this practical course that includes:
• using voice and speech
• creating material from an emotional approach
• using storytelling elements and gestures
In addition to your dance practice, study can include the use of digital resources such as film & photography, useful websites and connection with online communities of interest via social media to enhance your learning.
Dance study offers a range of benefits including being an enjoyable way to increase fitness whilst enhancing wellbeing. Dance practice at Morley can also serve to enhance skills relevant for employment by means of encouraging increased confidence, physical dexterity and concentration.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Creativity and openness to improvisation are essential for this course. The actual complexity of the generated dance sequences will depend on your
personal level and can be adapted. Thus, even if you do not have the best dance technique, you will enjoy and profit from this course.
You should join if:
• you always felt that you have creative ideas but never found a way to put them into a shape
• you are at the beginning of your career as a dancer / choreographer
• you want to explore new ways of expressing emotions through movements
• you enjoy working in a team and creating something together
• you want to learn more about composition and choreography
• you like to present work as part of a performance
What you need to know before you enrol
This is a practical dance course so a reasonable level of fitness is needed. If you have any particular learning needs with regard to mobility or any other aspect of working physically, please speak to your tutor so that appropriate adaptations may be made.
Photography and film recording of class activities may be used in order to aid learning. These images may also be used for publicity or marketing materials produced by Morley College, both online and in print. You will have the opportunity to either confirm or decline consent to being filmed or photographed.
What you will need for your class
• An open mind and creative ideas
• Dance clothes
• Pen and notebook / electronic device
What you can do next
Morley College offers an exciting and diverse range of dance courses. Please visit our website, pick up a course guide or contact email@example.com for further information.