Contemporary Dance General
When and Where
- 13 Jan 2020 - 30 Mar 2020 (16.5 hours, 11 weeks)
- Days and times
- Monday 16:00 - 17:30
- Morley College London
- Full fee
- Concession fee
- Senior fee
- Senior Fee discount not applicable
- Godiva Marshall
- Course code
What you will learn
This contemporary dance class is informed by the technical disciplines of Merce Cunningham, Martha Graham and Pina Bausch. The essential approaches are merged into exercises to give you a well rounded idea of contemporary dance.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- be aware of correct alignment ,placing and room positions
- correctly execute the contraction and the spiral in Cunningham, Graham and Bausch
- use the levels in dance (Plies, standing level and jumps) on the spot and in space
- work with range of dynamics in music and body movement. (accents, suspension, swing and drops)
- connect emotional expression and technical precision
Class format and activities
• Follow and learn tutor-led technical exercises and training for coordination, room positions, flow of movements, precision and expression
• Practise of extended contemporary dance sequences using the approaches of Cunningham, Graham and Bausch
In addition to your dance practice, study can include the use of digital resources such as film & photography, useful websites and connection with online communities of interest via social media to enhance your learning.
Dance study offers a range of benefits including being an enjoyable way to increase fitness whilst enhancing wellbeing. Dance practice at Morley can also serve to enhance skills relevant for employment by means of encouraging increased confidence, physical dexterity and concentration.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This is a general level course therefore it is open to all levels (across all three terms in 16/17). Basic knowledge of at least one of the following dance
forms - contemporary, ballet or jazz dance – is very helpful to follow the steps of this class. However, if you are open and eager to learn a new dance
style the tutor will do his best to make you fit in.
If you have any questions please contact Tim Taylor on firstname.lastname@example.org
What you need to know before you enrol
You will be learning and practising physical exercises to help you improve co-ordination, room positions, flow of movements, precision and expression across the duration of 1.5 hours. Therefore, you should have a reasonable level of fitness so as to be able to sustain this practice. Your tutor will be able to adapt exercises to suit particular learning needs.
Photography and film recording of class activities may be used in order to aid learning. These images may also be used for publicity or marketing materials produced by Morley College, both online and in print. You will have the opportunity to either confirm or decline consent to being filmed or photographed.
What you will need for your class
pen and notebook/reflective journal
Water and a towel
What you can do next
Contemporary Dance: General
Please contact email@example.com for further information about other dance courses.