Make a Fabric and Leather Messenger Bag
What you will learn
Ideal for beginners to the subject, learn the basic construction methods required to produce a finished messenger bag in a unisex design. Learn how to combine leather with fabric and gain skills that can be used to develop your own pieces. Working with a provided pattern, you will make a lined bag in soft leather and heavy solid coloured fabric with a zip closure and an across the body Webbing strap with a slider. No previous experience in bag making or leatherwork is required but sewing machine skills are essential.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- use a commercial pattern to cut different types of materials
- construct a messenger bag using soft leather and fabric
- add an interior shell using appropriate materials including linings and interfacings
- attach suitable fastenings and fittings such as zips, sliders and metal tuck catches
- follow instructional handouts and diagrams
Class format and activities
Following a commercial pattern, you will practice a variety of seaming and finishing techniques that will enable you to produce simple leather accessories. Teaching is both as a whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis with technical advice depending on your needs. After examining and discussing samples and examples, the tutor will demonstrate how you can use a domestic sewing machine for stitching these challenging material. The tutor will facilitate group discussions and work with students one-to-one and
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You do not need previous experience of using this material but basic sewing machine skills are essential. English speaking / reading plus basic numeracy is desirable.
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Cutting materials is usually done standing at high tables. If this is difficult for you, please inform your tutor.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building.
• There is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Working with leather requires using specialist glue and knives. You will receive Health and Safety instructions for using these. If you have asthma or a breathing problem, please inform your tutor.
Please note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – this includes any liquids at all.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: sharp heavy fabric scissors, pins, tape measure
• notepad and 2/3 colour pens, 2H pencils, sharpener and eraser,
• masking tape, paper scissors
• you will be required to purchase a materials pack from your tutor, containing everything for the course, for no more than £35 per pack. This must be given to the tutor at the start of the course.
• sewing machine bobbins will be available from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
• paper and card are provided for use in class
What you can do next
The course provides an excellent introduction to using this challenging material or as a refresher or taster of new techniques. You may be interested in our accessories courses including Design and Make a Bag, Leather Accessories short Course,Make a Leather Purse/Wallet . Please consult the course guide.